Best Upholstery Type for Recliners – Which One to Choose?
Choosing the upholstery for a recliner is as important as picking the chair. Upholsteries should not just be stylish but also have to be comfortable. They come in many designs, patterns, and combinations.
If you want to learn more about the best upholstery types for recliners in 2023, then you are in the right place.
This article will explain the differences between the available materials and how they give a unique reclining experience. Give a read and know more about the fabrics.
Best Recliner Upholstery Fabric of 2023
When it comes to choosing the best upholstery material for your recliner, you need to consider the durability, cleanability, and resistance to material fading. The materials also vary based on the type of recliner.
All of these materials have their unique characteristics and give a refined look and comfort to the recliner individually. We’ll look at each and every one of them separately.
- Durability - Cotton has high tensile strength, as a result, it’s strong, durable, and does not tear easily
- Maintenance - Vacuum, mild dish soap, hydrogen peroxide & vinegar (spot cleaning), and even steaming
- Pest resistance - Regular maintenance is required
Cotton is the most popular and commonly used natural fabric. It is the cheapest of all yet most durable recliner fabric that is resistant to fading.
It can also be dyed very easily and that is why you can see cotton in any color possible.
Cotton gives a soft and comfortable seating experience. Infact, It suits people of even sensitive skin types as it is hypoallergenic.
Cotton is not the best choice for everyday use as they are prone to stains. It also wrinkles easily so the new look of your recliner may change over time.
- Durability - Linen is very durable because of the natural fibers used to make it. They get softer with every wash and they age very well
- Maintenance - Linen has to be washed at low temperature in lukewarm or cold water. Use a mild detergent to protect the fabric
- Pest resistance - Linen is naturally moth resistant
Linen is a natural fabric and one of the most affordable in the market today. Sometimes, the manufacturers improve the quality of the linen by mixing it with synthetic fabrics sometimes. It is a very soft and comfortable fabric that gives an amazing seating experience. Among all other fabrics that are available, linen has the best durability.
It has resistance to fading and pilling. One of the affordable fabrics so anyone can buy this for any budget. It gives an elegant look to the living space where you keep it.
Linen can shrink easily when washed. It also catches stains easily making it difficult to remove them. You need to get professional help to clean and wash the stains on the fabric.
- Durability - Leather has a longer life with the right care provided. They can last for a lifetime if you maintain them properly
- Maintenance - They can be cleaned easily with a soft cloth and mild detergent. It must be protected from heat or direct sunlight
- Pest resistance -
Leather is one of the most durable recliner fabrics that are natural. It gives a rich look and a subtle feel. They are naturally stain-resistant and easy to clean so you don’t have to worry about spilling food or other items.
Even the hair of your pets and small children can be easily vacuumed out in the leather. It gives a comfortable seating experience especially for the elders as they need a soft touch feeling at their age.
A genuine leather recliner finish can give a longer life compared to other fabrics. Due to its soft nature, you will not get out of the chair. Leather doesn’t absorb any spillage so you don’t have to worry about your chair smelling bad.
Leather can be scratched easily by pets or children. It is quite expensive compared to other fabrics because of the longevity it offers. Sharp objects may quickly damage your leather.
- Durability - They are durable because of the silk fibers. They are one of the strongest among other natural fabrics
- Maintenance - They can be washed with mild detergent by hand
- Pest resistance - They are resistant to the growth of moths and fungi
Silk is one of the natural and expensive fabrics. It is quite a great choice if you are looking to place it in a formal décor. If silk is taken care of, it will give you a long-lasting life.
One of the luxurious fabrics with great quality and durability. It shines brightly by giving an attractive look when placed in a formally decorated room. It is available in various designs and patterns to match your style.
Since silk is expensive, not everyone will be able to afford it. It needs professional dry-cleaning. It is not a good choice if you have pets or children at home as they can cause damage to the chair.
It is likely to fade and be damaged by the sun if it is not placed in a safe spot. Also, it is likely to get damaged by heavy usage.
- Durability - Wool is more durable because of its flexibility. Its elastic nature makes it resistant to tearing
- Maintenance - They can be washed with cold water and a mild detergent. Use the delicate cycle if you are washing it in the machine.
- Pest resistance - If they are unused for a long time. They are likely to be damaged by insects. Resistant to mold and mildew
Wool is a natural fabric available in a variety of designs and patterns. It gives a soft and gentle touch feeling whenever you sit on them. Wool is one of the best upholstery choices as they are comfortable and soft.
It is also the most durable recliner fabric and they are resistant to water and fire. One of the environmental-friendly fabrics. It doesn’t fade and crease giving you an all-new look for a long time.
Wool is quite expensive to cover in all budgets.
- Durability - Nylon is extremely strong because of the polymer construct
- Maintenance - They are easy to machine wash
- Pest resistance - They are highly resistant to insects, and fungi
Nylon is one of the synthetic fabrics that is blended with other materials to give an elegant look. It is a very strong material so it doesn’t easily wrinkle or soil. And according to Better Homes & Gardens, Nylon is one of the most strongest upholstery fabrics.
Nylon is likely to pill and may fade over sunlight or UV exposure.
- Durability - They are not very durable as they have low elasticity. If it is stretched, it takes time to get back to its original shape
- Maintenance - It is advisable not to wash in the machine, as it can damage the fabric. Rayon can be washed with cold water
- Pest resistance - They are resistant to most insect damages
Rayon is a synthetic material that offers comfort equal to other materials. They are widely used in upholstered furniture as they are cheap. Resistant to moths and mildews.
They are not very durable in nature but the newer varieties that are produced these days offer more durability. Designed with comfort and softness to give the ultimate lounging experience.
Rayon usually doesn’t retain its original look for long periods of time. It is likely to wrinkle and may get scratched easily. Rayon is not water-resistant so it may lose its original shape when it gets wet. The elastic recovery of rayon is very low.
- Durability - They are extremely durable and don’t easily stretch or pill like other fibers
- Maintenance - Polyester doesn’t need any special care because of its durability. They can be either be machine-washed or dry-washed
- Pest resistance - They are not likely to be attacked by insects
Polyester is a microfiber available in a variety of colors, and therefore you can find the chair that blends with your house decor. They look very attractive and give a rich look similar to other expensive fabrics. Polyester is very soft and offers the comfort you expect. It can be easily cleaned in case of any dust or stains.
Even if you accidentally spill water, it will quickly become dry and return to its original state. It is strongly resistant to stain and abrasion making it one of the most durable recliner fabrics. It will not absorb smells as they are slightly breathable compared to other breathable fabrics.
Polyester may stretch over time. They can crack if they are exposed to overheating and high temperatures. They are quickly flammable so it has to be placed away from objects that create fire.
- Durability - A strong fabric that neither fades over time nor reacts with water, acids, or any detergents.
- Maintenance - Before washing with a detergent, always remove the stains first with a wet cloth.
- Pest resistance - They are strongly resistant to insects.
Polypropylene also called olefin is the second most-produced synthetic fiber in the market. Without the use of any detergents or stain treatments, they can be cleaned. You can even use it roughly and it will still give a great life. Polypropylene is one of the second fabrics to give a long-lasting life next to polyester.
It is made of melted plastic that makes it waterproof. Any water-based stains can be easily removed from polypropylene. It doesn’t fade soon and can be easily cleaned with bleach. The color of the fabric remains the same throughout its lifetime.
Polypropylene has a high degradation rate when exposed to UV light. Oil-based stains are hard to remove from the fabric.
The fabrics detailed in our article are the most commonly used upholsteries by recliner manufacturers these days. Each serves its unique purpose and gives its life based on your usage. Select one based on your needs.
Hope this article has given you the details to make the right decision. Let us know if you have any questions in the comment box and we will get back to you soon.